As an Amazon affiliate, we earn a commision from qualifying purchases.
If you’re shopping for a washer and dryer combo, you want to be sure that you’re buying the right capacity machine for your laundry needs.
And I’m sure you’re aware that these machines- just like conventional stand-alone washers or dryers come in different sizes- from below 2.0 cu. ft. (compact units) to 4.5 cu. ft. and above(These accommodates larger loads so they suit large families).
Now, to point you in the right direction, below is a complete washer and dryer capacity chart -we hope it will help you determine the correct capacity of washer and dryer for your family’s needs.
Washer and dryer capacity chart
Before we go to all-in-one washer and dryer size chart, let us look at separate washer and dryer capacity charts
Washer capacity chart
Sizes of Washer
Volume / Capacity
|Compact Washers||2-3 cubic feet
|For 1 to 2 people only who wash light garments(no heavy bedding)
|Standard Washers||3.5-4.5 cubic feet
|Any washer between 4.5-4.9 cubic feet can hold approximately 11–19 bath towels(full size)
|Large capacity Washers||4-5+ cubic feet
|A 4.6 cu. ft.(at least) capacity washer is best for washing large items like king-size comforters or sheets(perhaps in one load).|
Dryer capacity chart
Size of dryer
Volume / Capacity
|Compact dryers||2-4 cubic feet
|4 cu. ft. is big enough to wash about 12 to 16 pounds of your laundry.|
|Standard dryers||5-6 cubic feet
|Most common dryer capacities are from 5.8 cu. feet. to 7.3 cu. feet. large.|
|Large capacity dryers||6-7+ cubic feet
|A dryer with a capacity between 7 to 9 cu. ft. can handle 15 – 20 towels in one cycle.|
Washer and dryer capacity chart – all in one units
Size of drum
Lbs. of laundry load you can wash
Example of the mix you can load
|1-3 cubic feet||4-8 lbs. of laundry
|2x small towels= 1 lbs
6x lightweight tops=3 lbs
10xpairs of socks/underwear=1 lbs.
Overall: Can be enough for 1-2 people
|3-4.5 cubic feet||12-16 lbs. of laundry||4x small towels= 2 lbs
10x lightweight tops=5 lbs
15xpairs of socks/underwear=1.5 lbs.
Overall: Can be enough for a household of 3-5 people
|4.5 – 6.0 cubic feet||20 and above lbs. of laundry||5x small towels= 2.5 lbs
12x lightweight tops=6 lbs
20xpairs of socks/underwear=2 lbs.
1xduvet cover=3 lbs.
Overall: Can be enough for a household of 5 (and more) people
Just to give you a better idea of the weight of dirty laundry, below is a laundry weight chart:
- 1 T-Shirt (XL size T-shirt) = 0.5 lbs
- 1 Bed Sheet (Full size) = 1.3 lbs
- 1 Large Bath/Beach Towel = 1.6 lbs
- Jeans (Medium Jeans) = 1.6 lbs
- Sweatshirt (Medium Sweatshirt) = 1 lb
- 1 Full Grown up (Adult) Outfit = 3.0 – 5.0 lbs
- Full Kid’s Outfit = 1.0 – 3.0 lbs
Remember: Your bathroom scale can come in handy if you’re not sure about the weight of your load- use it to accurately gauge the weight.
Washer and dryer capacity chart -What else you need to keep in mind
- Standard washers have around 3 to 5 cu. ft. typical capacity while dryers have 5 to 7 cu. ft. capacity in general
- Top load washers tend to have a notably larger capacity –slightly more than 5 cu. ft.- whereas front load washing machines have a smaller size/capacity- they generally do not go exceed 5 cu. ft.
- When it comes to dryers, most standard dryers are between 5.0 and 7.0 cubic feet of capacity. That said, there are a couple of ultra large-capacity units out there (I have seen a 9.2 cu. ft. model) if you want more capacity.
- Because a washer -dryer set is a long-term investment, it is best to think about your future laundry needs and not just what you do need today. In a nutshell, consider larger capacity washer –dryer combo if you have plans to add kids to your family(in the future).
- Different brands have come up with own fancy marketing names for various capacities (you’ll see terms like “super”, “king size” and “extra” out there). Ignore them and stick to the Department of Energy(DOE)-standardized numeric cubic feet values quoted.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
What is the largest capacity stackable washer and dryer?
You guessed it right: The capacity of the washer and the dryer are not equal (for the most part).
And the biggest capacity is the LG WashTower Single Unit Front Loader with 4.5 cu. ft. (Washer capacity) and 7.4 cu. ft. (Gas Dryer capacity)
I’m sure there could be a couple of bigger sized models so do your research.
Are washers and dryers a standard size?
No. As we have mentioned previously, washer and dryer pairs come in different sizes/capacity..
That said, the most commonly available standard sized combos have between 3 to 4.5 cu. ft. of capacity and work well for households of between three -five people.
They handle about 12 – 16 lbs. loads of dirty laundry.
Washer and dryer capacity chart-Final words
Remember if you go for a small dryer and washer, then you will have to be doing small loads at a time so you are likely to end up increasing your electricity or gas bills.
On the other, having a very large dryer might make the machine wash and dry your laundry poorly since small loads do not generally tumble well.
PS: Since the exact capacity varies from model to model, make sure to verify the manufacturer’s recommendations(from the owner’s manual or the packaging) before buying.