As an Amazon affiliate, we earn a commision from qualifying purchases.
If you live in a small rented apartment, dorm room, or condo without washer/dryer hookups and you find Laundromats insanely expensive, you may want to invest in the best portable washer and dryer for apartments without hookups.
The good news is that there are a few extremely good options out there when it comes to compact portable washer-dryer combos for apartment living.
With that in mind, below we have reviewed our 3 best picks to point you in the right direction if you’re looking for a unit that works perfectly for small spaces.
Best portable washer and dryer for apartments without hookups
Other choices worth looking at:
A really good washer dryer unit, this washes and dries in just a little over 2 hours, once you master how to load it correctly.
Most importantly, your soiled clothes come out squeaky clean and 100% dry all the time.
It comes with an impressive range of wash/drying options including sanitize cycles(kills most common household bacteria) and steam wash (it enhances cleaning).
It’s a wonderful energy and water saver too- compared to what we saw when we looked at its competition, this is one of the best units if you’re looking for a true water and energy saver(being 110V)!
Installation and operation is flawless too.
Okay, the cost is close to what you’d pay if you bought a separate washer and dryer but the space economy- coupled with the mind-blowing cleaning/drying results- makes it a worthwhile investment.
Try it- we can bet that you’ll not be going back to the 2-machine system any time soon.
- It’s relatively quiet
- Easy peasy to operate.
- It can fit anywhere- it’s small enough to fit in closets, kitchen floor cabinets, under a counter, etc- also great for mobile homes. Don’t forget that it is ventless.
- The interior capacity(2.4 cubic feet) makes it a one-person unit, more or less
LG Smart Wi-Fi Enabled Front Load Washer-Dryer combo (with Turbo Wash)-best portable washer dryer combo for apartments ventless
This giant (4.5 Cubic Feet) Front Load Washer-Dryer combo is another fabulous choice if you’re shopping for an apartment-sized portable washer and dryer combo.
Not only is the capacity extraordinarily large (accommodates even king size bedding) but also cleans (and with less detergent) and dries everything nicely.
In addition, there are so many fantastic features here: It’s ventless (no more venting issues), comes with many different wash/drying cycles (some gentler on clothes), truly quiet, aesthetically pleasing, very energy efficient …we can go on and on..
Did I mention that it’s incredibly easy to use (the app is pretty helpful!)
Overall, it’s a brilliant option for a small family(around 2 adults + a kid).
Easy to use, quiet, cleans clothing well, and looks good too!
- Handy wireless ThinQ app
- Plenty of cool features like steam care, delay start, turbo wash, and more
- Gorgeous looking- stylish appearance and color!
- No instructions (imagine that!) for drying- only comes with washing instructions.
This all in one unit comes with spacious capacity of 8.8 pounds-which can comfortably wash and dry a day’s worth of clothing for about 2 adults + 2 toddlers in just 1 wash.
It can as well fit 4 regular-sized towels or a pair of queen-sized sheets so it’s a great size-and they’ll be thoroughly washed and dried.
So in short, it does fine for most clothes (jeans, cotton pants and shirts, bedcovers, underwears, and more).
The noise is not much- it is tolerable- and, in general, runs flawlessly.
In fact, it corrects imbalance(in the tub) automatically and prevents vibrations if the clothes inside its stainless-steel tub are not distributed equally.
We also love that it’s easy to understand (there’s virtually no learning curve).
It’s worth mentioning that the machine features 10 different washing modes, 5(five) water level selections(different), and a timer.
Of course, it doesn’t use up a big space and is actually very easy to move about/around(weighs only 43.5lbs)
Keep in mind that it comes with an aerator adapter(for the faucet)
- Easy to set up and use
- Features an automatic load imbalance detection mechanism
- Has a transparent washer lid-you can check the status of your clothes at any time while using the washer.
- Its manual is somewhat sketchy (not completely descriptive of the settings).
Best portable washer and dryer for apartments without hookups- buyers guide
Size of the washer-dryer combo
Ideally, you should go for the smallest depending on the space you have in your apartment.
The capacity of the machine
When buying a washer-dryer combo, you will want to be very careful with the capacity.
You see, for one with a small capacity, it will be, for the most part, suitable for only one or two-person laundry needs.
On the other hand, you will be better off with a washer-dryer combo with a larger capacity if you have a larger family.
So choose according to your family size.
Also, think about the features you would need.
Because some washer dryer combos come with additional features such as a steam cycle(useful when you want to sanitize clothes, towels, or even diapers) and delicate settings(excellent for delicate clothes including wool, lingerie, or blouses).
The decision again boils down to your specific laundry needs so be sure to choose a machine that has the features you need.
This is yet another major factor you can’t overlook.
And everything is clear here: You want a washer-dryer unit that won’t make you pay too much extra on your energy bills.
That said, the best way to be sure is to check the energy rating of each machine on the label
If money is tight, there are good budget units such as the COSTWAY 2-in-1 Portable Washer and Dryer Combo for Apartment without hookups
On the other hand, if money is not an issue, you may want to go for the LG Smart Wi-Fi Enabled Front Load Washer-Dryer combo (with Turbo Wash) – it is expensive yeah but it comes with unbeatable durability and countless awesome features.
How to use a portable washer and dryer -Useful tips
- Make sure to properly level the unit and do not over-fill the unit especially with bulky items- The key is you avoid overloading the machine, bearing in mind that for drying cycles, space is needed in the drum.
- Consider getting a suitable anti-vibration mat- we recommend purchasing an anti-vibration mat and put it under the machine. It helps reduce annoying vibrations when it spins.
- Remove clothes right away- like conventional dryers, these units tend to finish very steamy so be sure to remove your laundry right away(so it finish air drying) to avoid wrinkling.
- Make sure you clean lint around the rubber seal (or else it will leak) between every load.
- Besides, drain the water(out of the unit) and leave its door open..that way, it dries out completely and won’t create any moisture/bad odors
Best portable washer and dryer for apartments without hookups -Conclusion
If you are tight on space in your home or apartment, you might not have enough space for a separate washer and dryer.
In such a situation, a washer-dryer combo is a great solution for your laundry since it only takes up the space of a single appliance.
We hope that the above reviews will help you make the right choice when purchasing.