As an Amazon affiliate, we earn a commision from qualifying purchases.
If you’re a beginner or tight on money, you are likely to be interested in the best budget automotive paint gun.
Below are our most recommended picks:
Best budget automotive paint gun- 3 amazing picks
Obviously, paint guns don’t come in one-size-fits-all and if you’re just starting out, you’d be better off going for a cost friendly paint gun for beginners.
Fortunately, there are a couple of decent ones out there- and we review the best 3 below:
Best budget automotive paint gun- our top recommended models
As for economically priced spray guns, HVLP guns(high volume, low pressure) are probably your best bet.
They’re gravity fed guns that have the paint pot placed above the gun and they usually work on a significantly lower pressure than the ones that have a pot underneath.
Most crucially, HVLP technology results in significant material savings(it saves up to 30 to 40% of paint materials)
And as mentioned, we have a couple of very decent ones that we highly recommend for folks like you.
Here they are:
This is definitely very budget friendly and it will do a decent job when it comes to spraying your whole car.
In truth, this set – and it comes with all accessories you will need to begin shooting – typically does the job perfectly and will lay down a smooth coat of paint.
You can even use hi build primer with this fantastic set and it sprays great.
The 3 guns are quite sturdy and work without a problem as long as you keep air at the correct PSI both at the tank as well as at regulator.
They are very, very easy to use- and there is superb pattern control and pressure on these guns.
We also love the stand that this comes with.
Yes, and they should last reasonably if you take good care of them- you, especially want to clean the guns immediately after use.
Use the 1.4mm tip for base (and clear coats), the 1.8mm tip for priming, and 1.0mm for tight areas/touchup
- Air Consumption: 3.5-7.1 CFM
- Operating Pressures: 29-50 PSI
- Spray guns have regular size 1/4″” air inlets
- Stainless steel needle
- Stainless steel nozzle sets
- Knobs (for completely adjusting the spray pattern, the fluid control and the air pressure)
What is included in the set
- 1 piece 1.8mm HVLP gun for primer spray(Model G6600-18)
- 1 piece 1.4mm fluid tip HVLP gun for topcoat spray (Model G6600-14)
- 1 piece 1.0mm fluid tip HVLP gun for touch-up spray (Model G5500)
- 1 liter aluminum cups-with lids(2 pieces)
- 1 150-cc stainless steel cup(with lid)
- 1 piece locking air pressure regulator/valve (0-180PSI,1-12 BAR)
- 1 piece inline mini-moisture filter
- Gun cleaning kit (with spanner wrench, brush, hex wrench, and 2 filters)
- Instructional manuals
- They are very well built
- The price is reasonable.
- Very easy to use.
- The instructions could be better.
This gets you very good results and is even more inexpensive than TCP Global Complete 9-Piece HVLP Paint Gun Set.
It works really well- it can paint real easy with this paint gun (there are no leaks) and feels very well constructed (and firm).
The needle, nozzle, and gun on this beginner-friendly gun are just fine.
It’s also well-balanced and light.
Most importantly, the gun really lay down paint delightfully- the finish quality is distinctively awesome.
Also, it’s another very good gun for high build primer (in auto body setting)
Besides, it’s easy to use/adjust and clean (and maintain) and the feel is also pleasing.
Other winners are low CFM requirements – The average air consumption is just 4.5 CFM.
Overall, Neiko 31215A’s all-round performance will exceed your expectations.
Of course, you will need to clean it vigorously after using it to keep it working properly for a long time.
- All-steel gun body
- Rust-resistant nozzle (stainless steel)
- Solid brass cap (for longevity and durability).
- 3 adjustable valve knobs (for extra precise paint application).
- Operation pressure: 40PSI
- Working pressure: 10PSI
- Average air consumption: 4.5 CFM.
- Nozzle size: 1.7mm (the nozzle is color-coded)
- 600cc (20.3fl. oz) aluminum cup (with lid), air gauge/regulator (metal), cleaning brush, multi-size wrench (for assembly/disassembly).
- Very good for fine finishing.
- The regulator (at the bottom) is very handy.
- Feels good quality.
- The nozzle has been fused into the body so removing it for cleaning takes more effort.
This is a solid auto paint sprayer that comes at an economical price and that does well for auto refinishing and general purposes (painting household appliances, furniture, wood working, boats and ships, etc).
There are two tips: 1.4mm (for basecoat) and 1.8mm (for primer) and it includes type 2 adapter(original) for disposable cups.
It’s a very good gun too (it’s unbelievable for base and clear) and you get excellent spray pattern/quality for very reasonable bucks.
To add to the outstanding performance, it feels pleasant in your hand, has a nice size can, it’s mostly made of steel, it’s easy to adjust, and is easy to clean as well.
In a nutshell, it is one of the best automotive hvlp spray gun for the money out there.
- Pressure: 30-40 psi
- Capacity: 1000ml
- Connector: 1/4″
- Air consumption: 14.5CFM
- Weight: 2.85 lbs
- 2 sets of nozzles: 1.4mm and 1.8mm (1.4mm nozzle already installed)
- Type 2 Adapter(original)
- 3 adjustable knobs
- Easy-reading air regulator
- Material: Steel(stainless), aluminum
- Sprays very uniformly.
- Easy to take apart(for maintenance).
- Well made.
- The others perform better when it comes to spraying primer.
Wrapping it up
If you’re a total amateur at painting vehicles and you want to save $$-and still do a nice job- these above guns are your best bet if you’re looking for the best budget automotive paint gun.
These can also be a great purchase if you’re after a paint gun you will use once(every few years).
So just pick one and give your car a fresh coat of paint.
Oh, and be sure to get a good compressor for the job (check what compressor capacity the gun manufacturer recommends).