As an Amazon affiliate, we earn a commision from qualifying purchases.
Below is a look at some of the most common LG direct drive washing machine problems and their fixes.
Go through it and use the suggested solutions to try and repair your LG direct drive washing machine if it is giving you headaches.
LG direct drive washing machine problems and fixes
Just before we get into the various specific fixes for typical LG direct drive washing machine problems, here is an important tip:
Some of the basic LG direct drive washing machine issues can be quickly fixed by just resetting the machine so you should always start your troubleshooting by resetting the appliance.
Below is the reset procedure:
How to reset LG direct drive washing machine
Just unplug it and leave it unplugged for about 30 minutes (or so).
You then plug the machine back in and see if it will work!
You can also reset it by turning off the circuit breaker for a while (again wait 30 or so minutes) then turning it back on.
Try it- it might save you a lot of time and trouble.
Having cleared up that, let us now go into particular LG direct drive washing machine problems and how to fix them:
LG direct drive washing machine won’t turn on (LG direct drive washing machine not turning on)
If your LG direct drive washing machine will not turn on and you have verified that there’s no power outage, try the following:
Check that the plug fits tightly into the wall outlet (unplug and plug it back in)- it won’t power on if the electrical power cord is not plugged in tightly or the connection is loose (test if the outlet is actually working and if the electrical cord is okay too)
Reset the circuit breaker or replace the fuse – the problem may be caused by a blown house fuse or a tripped circuit breaker tripped.
- Quick Tip: sometimes the issue may be due to a circuit overload so if everything else fails, have a qualified electrician check it for a possible circuit overload.
If the problem persists, check the power board (it may need to be replaced).
You may want to open it up try and find the internal wire(s) that might have shorted out or gotten burned before that as it can be a wire issue.
LG direct drive washing machine won’t power on (LG direct drive washing machine not starting) / LG direct drive washing machine not working
If your LG direct drive washing machine won’t start or your LG inverter direct drive washing machine stopped working suddenly, see LG direct drive washing machine won’t turn on immediately above.
LG direct drive washing machine not switching on
Also try the fixes we recommended under the section LG direct drive washing machine won’t power on above.
LG direct drive washing machine won’t drain water (LG direct drive washing machine not draining)
A very common cause of this problem is failed pumps or a blockage somewhere along the filter chamber.
So the first thing you should try is turning the washer on its side to allow you unclip the hose and proceed to remove the blockage.
Quick Tip: When unclogging, it’s going to make a mess so get towels first (a lot of water is likely to come out). You then grab a compressor and proceed to blow air into the tube (slowly) until all the nasty debris come out. Be sure to rinse it out properly after you do that.
Also, correct any kinks on the drain hose (if you notice it’s kinked).
The drain pipe should also be installed properly (not less than 34 ” and not higher than 96 ”off the ground) so check if the drain hose is meeting this criteria.
Also, try to clean the drain filter itself– there might be draining problems if it is clogged too (emptying the filter usually helps)
Now, if there’s no visible blockage, then it could mean that the drain pump has failed and it will need replacing- There are tons of “how to videos” on YouTube so performing the replacement is not terribly hard.
LG inverter direct drive washing machine won’t drain
Try the tips we suggested under the LG direct drive washing machine won’t drain water section above.
LG direct drive washing machine not spinning (LG direct drive washing machine won’t spin)
One cause of this issue is the door – the washer won’t spin if it is not firmly shut.
So ensure it’s firmly closed then press “Start/Pause” button once more – bear in mind that it could take a couple of moments before your washer starts to spin once you press “Start/Pause”.
Don’t forget that the machine may be “refusing” to spin because of an imbalanced load.
And so you should add one or two similar items to try and balance the load.
Another thing you should try is rearrange the load as it could allow proper spinning.
You can even remove some clothes (if there is no improvement) and retry – the point is, play with your load until it’s properly balanced.
If it is still not spinning (and you’re hearing some weird noises), try looking at the back of the machine- you want to look at the motor rotor.
Note that you will need a tool like an appropriate Phillips depending on your model number to take the back apart.
The rotor assembly is a common failure in these machines and a new rotor normally fixes some spinning issues.
Next, you can try to clean the lint filter – if clogged by thread and lint, then it is going to cause draining or spinning issues.
This Video by LG demonstrates the lint cleaning filter procedure for a front loader and will give you an idea on how it is done.
LG direct drive washing machine not filling with water
Start by checking the water supply to the machine.
Here is what to check and what to do:
- Is the tap opened fully? – Fully open tap.
- Does it have enough pressure? – Check water pressure from a different faucet in the house. A plumber may help resolve water pressure problems.
- Are there any leaks? – Seal them.
- Is water inlet hose kinked?- Straighten the hose
Also, water filling problems are often caused by the blocking of the filter (of the inlet hose). Any debris buildup in the filter needs to be cleaned out.
LG direct drive washing machine not heating water
Here is what you should check (and it is important to be sure that you have selected the correct options -program and temperature- before you turn to the following):
- Check the inlet hoses– Verify that you have not swapped the cold and hot water lines. If you have, correct the issue..
- Is your hot water hose kinked? – If your hot water hose is kinked (you notice visible kinks) or is punctured, or there are traces of leaks (around it), you need to fix any of these problems.
- Is your hot water tap fully opened? – If it is not, then this might be the cause and you’ll need to open it fully.
- Check the thermistor– Does your washer display the tE error? If it is and water is not heating, the culprit is often a faulty thermistor. You need to replace it (and in some instances, it’s easier to change out the whole heating element).
- Replace the heater– As mentioned, the entire heating element could have malfunctioned. You’ll once more need to order a replacement to get rid of the tE error code/water heating problems.
Quick Tip: Search for and watch a few YouTube videos on how to do the replacement –it will save you time and give you an extra confidence boost.
LG direct drive washing machine not rinsing
There are several reasons that could be making your washer not to rinse clothes properly.
Here they are and what you should do:
- Reduce the load– Clothes won’t tumble properly if you have loaded a lot of clothes. Try to remove a few items (from the drum) and see if it will help. Don’t forget that large laundry items such as blankets and comforters are generally too huge for the drum so they may not rinse perfectly.
- Use proper amount of fabric softener– Putting too much softener can hamper proper rinsing. Also add softener the proper way.
- Can you change your detergent?– Using the recommended detergent (again in the right amount) can make a big difference.
- Check for drain issues– If the machine is unable to drain properly, it may start to have problems spinning out clothing (so inspect the washer for a broken/clogged drain pump, bent/clogged drain hose, etc.).
LG direct drive washing machine not taking fabric conditioner
If your washer is not taking in fabric conditioner, check for the following:
- Clean potential buildup of fabric conditioner – fabric conditioner residual may have formed in the machine’s conditioner slot and it needs to be cleaned out (Use warm water plus a clean cloth).
- Dilute the conditioner– Your fabric conditioner might be too thick so the machine can’t really ‘accommodate’ it. Try to dilute it a little with water (you can add one part of water).
Quick Tip: To prevent these problems, always use the fabric conditioner recommended by LG (see your owner’s manual).
LG direct drive washing machine won’t open
If your LG direct drive washing machine door won’t open, here is possibly why and what you should try:
- Water Temperature (or level is too high)- First drain it by running a Drain/Spin cycle then try to press Start/Pause to open it once the cycle is complete.
- Defective door lock– If your LG direct drive washing machine won’t unlock, consider replacing the door lock
Reminder: Once the washer has started to run, the door can’t open for safety reasons -Just check if “Door-Lock” icon is illuminated. If so, wait for it to turn off and open the door (it should be open promptly if there are no door issues).
That said, you may have a problem with the door latch or some other component involved in opening the door. Here is a nice article on troubleshooting a door that won’t open.
LG direct drive washing machine problems -LG inverter direct drive washing machine error codes
Now we will look at the most common LG direct drive washing machine error codes (some LG direct drive washing machine issues are communicated to you by the machine via error codes that appears on the display).
LG direct drive washing machine problems- table of LG direct drive washing machine errors and potential solutions
LG direct drive washing machine error code CL
Child lock feature is activated (so the control panel is disabled and you cannot adjust the settings)
Press then hold the “child-lock” button for 3 or so seconds.
LG direct drive washing machine error code UE (LG direct drive washing machine error UE)
- Load could be too small.
- Load might be out of balance.
- The washer features an imbalance detection (and correction) system. If you load individual heavy articles (example bath robe, bath mat, etc.) this system might make it stop spinning (or even cancel the spin cycle completely).
- Add a couple of similar items of clothing to help properly balance the load.
- Rearrange the load to allow smooth spinning
Quick Tip: If the clothes are still extremely wet when the cycle finishes, add smaller items of laundry to try and balance the load then rerun the spin cycle.
LG direct drive washing machine error code OE (LG direct drive washing machine error OE)
- Drain hose is kinked/clogged.
- The drain filter might be clogged.
- Clean and then straighten drain hose.
- Clean out the drain filter.
LG direct drive washing machine error code tE
Replace the thermistor (it’s perhaps easier to change out the whole heating element).
LG direct drive washing machine error code LE (LG direct drive washing machine error LE)
Over load in the motor
Allow your appliance to stand for about 30 minutes to have the motor cool then start the cycle afresh.
LG direct drive washing machine error code IE
- Water supply is inadequate in area.
- Water supply taps have not been completely opened.
- Water inlet hose(s) are likely kinked.
- The filter -of the inlet hose(s)- are clogged.
- Check if water supply is okay from another tap.
- Fully open the water taps.
- Straighten the hose(s).
- Check the filter – of the inlet hose- for clogging and clean it.
LG direct drive washing machine error code dE
Door is open
Shut the door immediately.
LG direct drive washing machine error code FE
Water is overfilling because of a defective water valve
Replace the inlet water valve
LG direct drive washing machine error code PE
Water level sensor is not working
Replace the part.
LG direct drive washing machine error code PF
Power failure has occurred.
Restart the cycle.
LG direct drive washing machine error code AE
Possible water leaks
Inspect the hoses and the entire water supply line and try to fix the issue.
LG direct drive washing machine error code dHE
Water supply issue
Turn the water tap on.
How to reset LG direct drive washing machine error codes
You can always try to reset the error code before everything else.
Follow these instructions:
Unplug it (or cut the circuit breaker) and then hold the “start/pause” button for 5 or so seconds.
Sometimes that’s all you need to do to clear error codes on these washers..
Wrapping it up
Common LG direct drive washing machine problems include failing to spin, draining issues, and trouble filling with water.
We have given you ideas on where to start when it comes to troubleshooting these issues (and others) to help you save money and time (a repair call can be expensive and inconveniencing).
However, it’s always good to involve a professional so call in one if you are not very sure of what you’re doing (otherwise you may end up causing more harm to the washer).